Sometimes you just can’t beat the classics when it comes to proven leg workout exercises that tone and strengthen. These 3 tried and true exercises will strengthen and shape your legs and toosh!
But how you perform the exercise can make all the difference. Slow controlled movements and isometric contractions create resistance without adding a lot of weight resulting in good form and less joint stress. These exercise will focus on a slow count with an isometric contraction (hold). Be sure to check out the variations of each exercise to add some challenge.
SUPER BONUS– Do this series of exercises with the new patented resistance bands, REXIST 360 strapped around your upper leg. These bands attach right to your legs via Velcro cuffs and will definitely take your workout up a notch or two!
1. Stand with feet shoulder width apart
2. Slowly descend to a count of 10 (count 1001, 1002…) as if sitting back to sit in a chair, keeping your abs tight, back straight and knees over your ankles. Lightly touch a chair or the wall for balance if needed.
3. Squat until your thigh is parallel to the floor (or as low as possible for you). Hold for a count of 5 seconds.
4. Slowly return to the starting position to a count of 10 and repeat 3 to 5 times.
-Add resistance by holding hand weights
-Pulse 5 times at the bottom instead of holding
-Do the squat with an exercise ball against the wall (& get a back rub!)
1. Stand in a wide stance with your toes pointing out, the hips externally (outwardly) rotated so the knees are aligned with the toes.
2. Slowly lower down into squat to a count of 10 making sure your knees stay over your ankles and don’t roll inward.
3. With torso upright go as low as you can but don’t let your knees move past your toes. HOLD for 5 seconds.
4. Slowly to a count of 10 push through your heels and return to starting position. Repeat 3-5 times.
-Hold a dumbbell in both hands for added weight
-Lift one foot and press through ball instead of heel
-Lift both heels balancing on balls of feet to do plie –great for the calves and your balance
1. Lay on your back with your hands by your sides, your knees bent, feet flat and directly under your knees.
2. Tighten your abdominal and buttocks muscles tucking your pelvis to tip tailbone upward
3. Slowly raise your hips up to create a straight incline line from your knees to shoulders.
4. Squeeze your hamstrings, quads, butt and core so the hips don’t sag or drop
5. Hold for 20 – 30 seconds and slowly lower back down from shoulders down the spine to the pelvis. If you can’t maintain your form for 30 seconds start with 5 – 10 seconds and increase as your strength builds. Repeat 3- 5 times.
-Squeeze a medium ball or a rolled up beach towel in between thighs
-Lift both toes upward and push through heels. Tap feet down and lift toes up repeatedly while holding hips and core steady.
-Lift and straighten one leg keeping knees aligned while pressing through opposite foot. Do with opposite leg.
Do these 3 exercises every other day for 4 – 6 weeks and you’ll be ready to slip into your summer shorts and skirts. Mix it up by trying each of the variations on a different day. And to take it up a notch or two do this exercise series with ReXist 360 bands strapped to your legs. Order our WAGs men’s and women’s workout gloves with wrist support to help with hand and wrist pain.